Alpine Competition Officials Education Resources
SEASON 2021 AOEWG CLINICS
On September 21, regardless of current CDC and local health authority COVID-19 guidelines, it was confirmed that all meetings - including education clinics - may only be held on a virtual platform.
In addition, if a meeting (e.g. for an exam), is required, it has to be limited to 25 or less attendees (proctors must be included in total), and must be held outdoors.
This last edict directly impacts our ability to administer certification exams in an acceptable environment and eliminates the options contained in a previously distributed Clinic Plan.
Your health and well-being and the ability to provide you with quality officials’ education are our primary concerns. Based on these concerns, together with the inability to provide you with a secure environment to complete upgrades or specialty-area certification requirements, the following changes to Alpine Officials’ Education are being implemented for Season 2021:
- Online Competition Official (CO) certification will be available. Required quiz is available and must be emailed to applicable division AO Chair
- Continuing Education (Update & Review) will be available for online presentation. Document and PowerPoint presentation will be available for use; additional PowerPoint presentations must also be viewed. (Officials whose last clinic attendance was Season 2019 must attend a Continuing Education Clinic prior to officiating during Season 2021. No exam is required for CE.)
- U.S. Technical Delegate Workshop will be available for online presentation. (Technical Delegates are required to attend a Workshop every season. No exam is required.)
- No additional clinics and/or exams; e.g. those required for update to Level 3 TC or Level 3 TD, or specialty area certifications for new coaches and officials, will be provided until Season 2022
In as much as the COVID-19 landscape is extremely fluid, please be assured the AOEWG is ready to adapt and respond as dictated by updated guidelines and protocols.
All education materials will be posted on the U.S. Ski & Snowboard website and will also be made available in the Alpine Officials’ Dropbox. We encourage current and future officials to review the available materials in preparation for a non-COVID-19 future.
We are ski race officials. We are resilient, we are strong-minded, we are tough…we will survive!
Below is some information to use for Covid-19
- Athlete/Coach Health Assessment Roster
- COVID-19 Pre-Screen Questionaire
- COVID-19 Symptom Check
- Officials/Volunteers Health Assessment Form
- Venue Access
- COVID-19 Google Form and Instructions
Following are study guides to help you prepare for the various alpine official's certification clinics. Study guides are not a replacement for actual clinic attendance but are provided to enhance your education. These documents have been updated for the 2021 season.
Download all of the study guides as one zip file or download the individual study guides below.
Download a zip file of the miscellaneous study guide forms.
- Chief of Course
- Chief of Race
- Competition Official
- Race Administration
- Timing and Calculations 1
- Timing and Calculations 3
Download a zip file of the PowerPoint presentations.
Updated Officials Manuals 2021 Season
The U.S. Ski & Snowboard Alpine Officials Education Working Group has assembled a comprehensive manual for alpine officials. This manual is a guide to race organization, the rules, and duties of officials, timing and calculations, and other subject areas important to alpine officials throughout the country.
It is intended to be as thorough as possible with updates and revisions produced as necessary. However, it is not meant to be a step-by-step ‘cookbook’ with definitive procedures for every race situation.
Download all of the Alpine Officials Manual as one zip file or download the individual study chapters below:
- Chapter 1- Introduction and Overview
- Chapter 2 - Superstructure of Ski Racing
- Chapter 3 - Rules, Jury, TD
- Chapter 4 - Race Organization
- Chapter 5 - Secretariat
- Chapter 6 - Working Papers
- Chapter 7 - Race Course
- Chapter 8 - Gate Judge
- Chapter 9 - Timing and Calculations
- Chapter 10 - Coaches
- Chapter 11 - Alpine Officials Program
- Chapter 12 - Computers & Ski Racing