USSA Partners With Kings on Grand Prix
SACRAMENTO, CA (May 20) – The U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association and the Sacramento Kings ownership group – Sacramento Basketball Holdings LLC, have announced a unique partnership where the Kings will serve as a sales representative for the USSA’s popular Sprint U.S. Grand Prix freeskiing and snowboarding tour. The deal includes global sponsorship sales representation to market and sell property and intellectual rights within Grand Prix, one of the world’s longest running action sports series’. The series is run under the USSA’s U.S. Freeskiing and U.S. Snowboarding brands and this past season served as the Olympic qualifying series.
- The U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association has entered into a unique marketing partnership with the NBA’s Sacramento Kings ownership group – Sacramento Basketball Holdings LLC.
- The Kings will serve as a sales representative for the USSA’s popular Sprint U.S. Grand Prix freeskiing and snowboarding tour, one of the longest standing action sport tours.
- The Grand Prix, now entering its 19th season, features the top freeskiing and snowboarding athletes and served as the primary qualifying series for the 2014 Olympic Teams in halfpipe and slopestyle skiing and snowboarding, which won eight medals in Sochi. The tour will also serve as the pathway to the 2018 Olympics in PyeongChang.
- Sponsorship and media assets will include official sponsorship rights and benefits, group licensing rights, event signage and hospitality, television, print, digital, mobile and social media inventory and assets within the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix.
- The acquisition of these rights enables Sacramento Basketball Holdings, LLC to attract sponsors on a national and international scale using intellectual property rights and the group licensing capabilities of the USSA.
- The USSA has a wide range of partners committed to the Grand Prix, with Sacramento Basketball Holdings, LLC managing all remaining inventory.
- The Grand Prix began in the 1996-97 season, making it one of the most consistent competition series’ in action sports and the core of Olympic selection events in 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014.
Chris Granger, President, Sacramento Kings
The USSA is one of the world's most respected sports associations, and we look forward to together providing unique and innovative sponsorship opportunities starting in Sacramento and stretching across the country. A central element of our NBA 3.0 philosophy is expanding our business globally. Our two companies have a like-minded culture and shared vision of global growth, and we believe this relationship will create significant opportunities for our brands and communities.
Michael Jaquet, Chief Marketing Officer, U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association
Our partnership with Sacramento Basketball Holdings offers a unique opportunity to benefit our freeskiing and snowboarding athletes by expanding the reach of the Grand Prix series. What’s especially valuable for us is Sacramento’s close proximity to Lake Tahoe, which is a vital region to our sport. The excellence that Sacramento Basketball Holdings, LLC has built within the market in such a short span of time will make this a valuable program for expanding the reach of our Grand Prix.
About Sacramento Basketball Holdings
Sacramento Basketball Holdings, LLC includes the Sacramento Kings, Sacramento Kings Foundation and Sleep Train Arena. Sacramento Basketball Holding, LLC focuses on upholding the implementation of the “NBA 3.0” philosophy by utilizing cutting-edge technology to enhance the fan experience, acting as a positive agent of change in the community and expanding the team’s global brand.
About U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA)
The U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA) is the national governing body of Olympic skiing and snowboarding. It is the parent organization of the U.S. Ski Team, U.S. Snowboarding and U.S. Freeskiing. Developed to facilitate participation in national and international competition, the Olympic sports organization provides structure for competitive skiing and snowboarding. From grassroots programs to governance of sport, management of rules, competitions and athletic rankings, the USSA oversees athletic pipelines for development in the sports. With a vision to make the USA the best in the world in Olympic skiing and snowboarding, the USSA provides leadership and direction for tens of thousands of young skiers and snowboarders who share an Olympic dream while maintaining a strong adherence to core values. The USSA, established in 1905, operates out of the national training and education facility, the Center of Excellence, in Park City, UT.