USSA Announces Fifth 2014 Olympic Selection Event for Freeskiing and Snowboarding
PARK CITY, UT (Sept. 19) – The U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association has announced a unique partnership with Alli Sports, a division of the NBC Sports Group, to sanction its Dec. 12-15 Dew Tour iON Mountain Championships at Breckenridge, CO as a USSA event. The event, along with the four-stop Sprint U.S. Grand Prix will determine the athletes to be nominated by the USSA for the U.S. Olympic freeskiing and snowboarding team. The five competitions will be used to nominate the team for halfpipe snowboarding plus the new events of slopestyle skiing and snowboarding along with halfpipe skiing. Each of the events will be broadcast on either NBC or NBCSN.
- The U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association will sanction the Dec. 12-15 Dew Tour iON Mountain Championships at Breckenridge.
- The Breckenridge event will provide the USSA with a vital fifth competition to use for Olympic selection and will showcase top U.S. Snowboarding and U.S. Freeskiing athletes along with an international field.
- The USSA team for Sochi in halfpipe snowboarding, plus the new events of slopestyle skiing and snowboarding along with halfpipe skiing, will be nominated from five events including the Dew Tour and the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix.
- The final freeskiing event is set for Jan. 18 in Park City, UT with the final snowboarding competition the following day at Mammoth Mountain, CA
- The event will align athletically on format, judging and scoring with the Grand Prix, based on the Olympic formats, to provide a comparable athletic competition. The USSA will be responsible for entry criteria for U.S. athletes in sync with the other selection events.
- The 2013 Dew Tour and Sprint U.S. Grand Prix will be broadcast on NBC and NBCSN. Live coverage will also be available with the Dew Tour Live on DewTour.com and Grand Prix with the USSA Network on YouTube.
Jeremy Forster, USSA Freeskiing/Snowboarding Director
The addition of a fifth event to be used for Olympic selection will be an important complement to our established calendar and greatly aid in the fair selection of our 2014 Olympic Team.
Michael Jaquet, USSA Chief Marketing Officer
The Dew Tour partnership will bring greater awareness to our amazing U.S. Freeskiing and U.S. Snowboarding athletes by enhancing broadcast exposure this season especially for our entire Sprint U.S. Grand Prix.
Kenny Mitchell, Dew Tour General Manager
The Dew Tour and USSA partnership makes our event bigger and more significant to the athletes, industry and fans. The Dew Tour is a top-tier event with significant broadcast and digital exposure. Now it’s among events being used for USSA team selection process, which is a great development for the industry and fans and drives home the importance of the Dew Tour iON Mountain Championships.
The U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA) is the national governing body recognized by the U.S. Olympic Committee to develop and prepare U.S. athletes for national and international competition, including the Olympic Games. The vision of the USSA is to make the United States of America the best in the world in Olympic skiing and snowboarding. The USSA is the parent organization of U.S. Snowboarding and U.S. Freeskiing and the organizer of the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix. It manages athletic programs and events in alpine skiing, cross country skiing, freeskiing, freestyle skiing, Nordic combined, ski jumping and snowboarding. The USSA is based in Park City, Utah. For more information, visit www.ussa.org.
About the Dew Tour
The Dew Tour consists of three marquee events in distinct beach, city and mountain locales, featuring summer sports of skateboarding and BMX, with additional competitions of surf and freestyle motocross; snowboard (superpipe and slopestyle) and freeskiing (superpipe and slopestyle) will be featured at the winter event. The Dew Tour events are premium action sports and lifestyle festivals combining the best in action sports competitions along with the Dew Tour Experience and live music performances. The Dew Tour is broadcast live on NBC and NBCSN and streamed live on dewtour.com. The Dew Tour is also distributed on Universal HD, and internationally on Eurosport, Extreme Channel, Rogers Sports Network, TVA, and Globosat. The Dew Tour partners include Mountain Dew (tour title sponsor), iON, Toyota, Mongoose, National Guard, Paul Mitchell and Stride. More information can be found at www.DewTour.com
Alli Sports is a media, event and branded content company that specializes in action, adventure, and adrenaline based sports. Alli Properties include the Dew Tour, Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship, the Red Bull Signature Series, World of Adventure Sports presented by Go Pro and Octane Academy founded by Ford; Alli Media, which creates original content, produces and presents content with partners and distributes content through a variety of channels; and Alli Enterprises consisting of e-commerce, event merchandise and branded licensed product. Alli Sports is a division of the NBC Sports Group. More information can be found at www.Allisports.com.