ELITEAM Trains in Park City
PARK CITY, UT (July 3) – ELITEAM Conditioning Camps – designed for young athletes ages 11-14 – came to a close last weekend at the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA) Center of Excellence in Park City. The Vermont based program, created by two-time Olympian and FIS Alpine World Ski Championships medalist Doug Lewis, partnered with the USSA for its first trip west to expose 32 young athletes to the world class training facility of Olympic champions like Ted Ligety and Billy Demong. The athletes trained alongside their heroes for five days while utilizing all that the Center of Excellence and Park City have to offer for elite athlete training.
- ELITEAM partnered with the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association for an inaugural western training camp providing young athletes with access to the world class Center of Excellence in Park City.
- 32 athletes ages 11-14 were cheered on by their heroes like downhiller Steven Nyman and cross country champion Liz Stephen for five days, while being guided by USSA strength and conditioning trainers.
- In addition to training at the Center of Excellence, the athletes cross trained with ropes courses, mountain biking, yoga, sandpit slalom, agility courses and “rock” workouts in Park City.
- Athletes who attended were from the following Ski Clubs: PCST, Summit, OVST, Rowmark, Jackson, Sun Valley, Pico, and Catamount.
- ELITEAM, created by two-time alpine Olympian Doug Lewis, is in its 22nd year of operation and for the first time expanded to the west.
- The program focuses on the concepts of Sports Physiology, Sports Psychology and Sports Nutrition. ELITEAM's goal is to develop healthy, confident, "complete" athletes.
- For more on ELITEAM and a schedule of future camps, log on to www.eliteam.com.
Doug Lewis, Two-time Olympian and ELITEAM founder
A big part of ELITEAM is teaching these young athletes about becoming a complete athlete. At their age, they have to do as many different sports and activities as possible. On the one hand, we have them lifting rocks, running gates down sandpits, and mountain biking. But on the other, we had the unique opportunity to expose them to the most up-to-date ski specific training in the world in the Center of Excellence. That comprehensive training, along with a focus on sports psychology and nutrition gives them the tools they need to pursue their goals.
My son had an incredible experience physically, mentally and emotionally. Since camp, he's continued to run and do his push-ups every day, he seems more confident and he's even given up carrying around his phone every day.
Luke Bodensteiner, USSA Vice President Athletics
The Park City program was a great opportunity for young athletes to experience our national team environment at the Center of Excellence with a program that incorporates the expertise of our national team high performance staff.