2021 U.S. Cross World Championship Teams Announced
U.S. Ski & Snowboard has named the U.S. Teams for the 2021 FIS Cross World Championships, taking place in Idre Fjäll, Sweden Feb. 11-13.
Following the cancellation of the original Zhangjiakou, China World Championships due to regulations implemented by the Chinese health authorities and government, the Swedish Ski Federation, the organizing committee of Idre Fjäll, and FIS agreed to reschedule the event. According to FIS (International Ski Federation), all stakeholders involved feel extremely confident that the World Cup organizer will be able to hold a successful World Championships.
“We feel very fortunate that U.S. Ski & Snowboard athletes will have the chance to compete in world championship cross competition this season amidst a challenging event landscape,” said U.S. Snowboard & Freeski Director Jeremy Forster. “U.S. skicross and snowboardcross athletes have been off to a strong start and will surely be accompanied by some momentum when they arrive in Idre Fjäll.
The resort is not new to the cross community, and has served as a regular stop on the FIS Skicross World Cup tour since the 2015-16 season. California native and U.S. skicross athlete Tyler Wallasch will be returning to the world championship venue just three weeks after earning the best World Cup result of his career with a fifth place finish in Idre Fjäll.
“I think I can carry momentum from the World Cup into World Champs,” said Wallasch. “Obviously, I think there will be some changes to the course, but Idre Fjäll definitely has a consistent style that I feel very confident on. I’ve been based out of Sweden since June of last year, so this almost feels like coming home.”
The U.S. Snowboardcross Team is coming into the event ready to defend multiple titles. Mick Dierdorff is the defending individual 2019 World Champion as well as represents one half of the inaugural mixed snowboardcross Championship Team alongside teammate and six-time World Champion Lindsey Jacobellis.
However, it’s been three-time Olympian Faye Gulini that’s on fire this season earning back-to-back podiums at the first stop of the snowboardcross World Cup circuit at Chiesa in Valmalenco, Italy.
“After being couched for the last World Championships in 2019 due to injury, I couldn’t be more excited to race in Sweden,” said Gulini. “The skicross tour has made a few stops in Idre over the years, and the mountain has always produced a great course. I think the course will favor my style of riding with big jumps and technical start features. I can’t wait to see what Team USA can accomplish!”
With a rock-solid venue and U.S. athletes coming in with confidence, the 2021 FIS Cross World Championships are setting up to be a spectacle.
The individual snowboardcross competition is set for Feb. 11, snowboardcross team competition on Feb. 12, and the skicross competition will close out the program on Feb. 13. Tune in on the Olympic Channel to catch all the action live!
2021 U.S. Cross World Championship Teams
(Name, Hometown, Club, USASA Series, Birthdate, World Champs Teams)
- Hagen Kearney - (Norwood, Colo.; International Snowboard Training Center; Rocky Mountain Series; 11/06/91; 2013, 2017)
- Alex Deibold - (Manchester, Vt.; Stratton Mountain School; Southern Vermont Series; 5/8/86; 2007, 2011, 2015, 2017)
- Jake Vedder - (Pinckney, Mich.; International Snowboard Training Center; Rocky Mountain Series; 4/16/98; 2019)
- Senna Leith - (Vail, Colo.; International Snowboard Training Center; Rocky Mountain Series; 4/8/1997)
- Mick Dierdorff - (Steamboat Springs Colo.; Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club; Rocky Mountain Series; 4/30/91; 2019)
- Faye Gulini - (Salt Lake City, Utah; Ski & Snowboard Club Vail; Rocky Mountain Series; 3/24/92; 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017)
- Lindsey Jacobellis - (Stratton Mountain, Vt.; Stratton Mountain School; Southern Vermont Series; 8/19/85; 2005, 2007, 2011, 2015, 2017, 2019)
- Meghan Tierney - (Eagle, Colo.; Board Stars Race Team; Rocky Mountain Series; 1/15/97; 2019)
- Stacy Gaskill - (Golden, Colo.; Winter Park Snowboard Team; Rocky Mountain Series; 5/21/00; 2019)
- Tyler Wallasch - (Los Angeles, Calif.; Mammoth Mountain Ski & Snowboard Club; The Unbound Series; 6/8/94; 2015, 2017, 2019)
HOW TO WATCH
All times in EST
Thursday, Feb. 11
8:30 a.m. FIS Snowboarding World Championships Snowboard Cross - LIVE, Idre Fjall, SWE, Streaming Peacock
10:30 a.m. FIS Snowboarding World Championships Snowboard Cross - same-day broadcast, Idre Fjall, SWE, Broadcast Olympic Channel
Friday, Feb. 12
6:30 a.m. FIS Snowboarding World Championships Snowboard Cross - LIVE, Idre Fjall, SWE, Broadcast Olympic Channel, Streaming Peacock
Saturday, Feb. 13
6:30 a.m. FIS Freestyle Skiing World Championships Ski Cross - LIVE, Idre Fjall, SWE, Streaming Peacock
11:30 a.m. FIS Freestyle Skiing World Championships Ski Cross - same-day broadcast, Idre Fjall, SWE, Broadcast Olympic Channel
Interested in organization, athlete, and event related news?
Sign up for our Daily or Weekly Update
Learn more about how to support the U.S. Freeski & Snowboard Teams.