Preview: Men's Giant Slalom
SCHLADMING, Austria (Feb. 14) - The U.S. Ski Team's Ted Ligety (Park City, UT) will go for a third gold medal in Friday's FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in Schladming. The race will bring back memories for the USA of the World Championships in Schladming 31 years ago when American Steve Mahre won gold in GS. Mahre was honored last week by being selected by the organizing committee to carry the American flag in the opening ceremony. Ligety, the defending World Champion, will be joined by Tim Jitloff (Reno, NV), Tommy Biesemeyer (Keene, NY) and Robby Kelley (Starksboro, VT), who is making his Championships debut. Universal Sports Network will provide coverage at 11:00 a.m. EST.
- Ted Ligety (Park City, UT) will go for a record third gold medal in the giant slalom Friday at the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships.
- Ligety is one of four Americans who have won two gold in a World Championships including Lindsey Vonn, Bode Miller and Andrea Mead Lawrence.
- Other U.S. starters will include Tim Jitloff (Reno, NV), Tommy Biesemeyer (Keene, NY) and Robby Kelley (Starksboro, VT), who is making his Championships debut.
- Universal Sports Network will carry same-day coverage at 11:00 a.m. EST with a re-air at 8:00 p.m.
- Over 20,000 fans are expected.
- The 2015 FIS Alpine Ski World Championships will return to the USA for Vail/Beaver Creek 2015.
Racetime: 4:00 a.m./7:30 a.m. EST
Universal Sports Network: 11:00 a.m. EST with re-air at 8:00 p.m.
FIS ALPINE SKI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
U.S. Ski Team - Women's Super G Starters
Julia Mancuso (Squaw Valley, CA)
Laurenne Ross (Bend, OR)
Mikaela Shiffrin (Eagle-Vail, CO)
Resi Stiegler (Jackson, WY)
COMPETITION AND BROADCAST SCHEDULE (all times Eastern Standard)
FIS Alpine World Ski Championships
Feb. 14 – Women's giant slalom, 11 a.m., Universal Sports Network
Feb. 15 – Men's giant slalom, 11 a.m., Universal Sports Network
Feb. 16 – Women's slalom, 3 p.m. NBC and 4 p.m., Universal Sports Network
Feb. 17 – Men's slalom, 11 a.m., Universal Sports Network
NOTE: Times represent broadcast airtmes; event will be lived streamed for Universal Sports Network subscribers.
Start list and results