Holland, Wescott Take Telluride Title
TELLURIDE-MOUNTAIN VILLAGE, CO (Dec. 15) - Olympic champion Seth Wescott (Sugarloaf, ME) and X Games champ Nate Holland (Squaw Valley, CA) combined to take the team SBX title at the Paul Mitchell Progression Session in Telluride. It was the second straight weekend U.S. Snowboarding has triumphed in a FIS Snowboarding World Cup team event, with Holland combining with Hagen Kearney (Telluride, CO) last weekend in Austria. For Wescott, it was a victory sweep after winning the USANA Snowboardcross Cup on Friday. Canada's Dominique Maltais and Maelle Ricker clinched their first victory in a team race. Next up for SBX is the FIS Snowboard World Championships in Stoneham, PQ Jan. 24-26.
- Seth Wescott (Sugarloaf, ME) and Nate Holland (Squaw Valley, CA) combined to win the Paul Mitchell Progression Session, wrapping up a weekend sweep for Wescott who won Friday's USANA Snowboardcross Cup.
- Wescott had to survive another close finish to take the title, as he did a day earlier. Wescott and Holland won each of the three heats.
- USA2, with Nick Baumgartner (Iron River, MI) and Hagen Kearney (Telluride, CO) missed out in the opening round and finished ninth.
- Jackie Hernandez (Londonderry, VT) and Faye Gulini (Salt Lake City) missed out on finals but came back to win the small final and take fifth.
- Next up for SBX is the FIS Snowboard World Championships in Stoneham, PQ Jan. 24-26.
- Sat. Dec. 22, 2:00-3:00 p.m. - Paul Mitchell Progression Session, Team SBX, NBC Sports Network
- Sat. Dec. 22, 3:00-4:00 p.m. - USANA Ski and Snowboardcross Cup, NBC
I messed up that upper flat. I got out in the powder. I waited and played the draft to the end. I knew if I was on him coming to that last jump that I would be able to get him by the finish line. It was tight.
As I said yesterday it's so nice to feel healthy again. I think my head really wasn't in it last week in Austria, so it's nice to come home to the States and get the focus going and feel like I'm riding good again.