Baumgartner Takes Third at Blue Mountain World Cup
BLUE MOUNTAIN, ON (Feb. 8) – Nick Baumgartner (Iron River, MI) zipped into third place today at the World Cup at Blue Mountain, Ontario. It was a tight race and Baumgartner was neck and neck with David Speiser. This World Cup event marks the fourth consecutive World Cup with the U.S. on the podium. France’s Pierre Vaultier took the win for the men with Canada’s Dominque Maltais taking women’s. This weekend the tour travels to Canyons Resort in Park City, UT for the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix and U.S. Championship where Jonathan Cheever (Saugus, MA) will defend his U.S. title.
- Nick Baumgartner took the lead for the U.S. with third place.
- Jonathan Cheever (Saugus, MA) came in ninth, with teammates Nate Holland (Squaw Valley, CA) in 11th and Alex Deibold (Manchester Center, VT) in 14th.
- For the women, Faye Gulini (Salt Lake City, UT) came in 18th
- Noticeably absent from the podium was Lindsey Jacobellis (Stratton Mountain, VT) who is recovering from a knee injury sustained during training at X Games last month.
- Next up check out the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix at Canyons Resort, Feb. 9 – 12 with a live broadcast on www.usnowboarding.com.
- Fans can earn a chance to win a pair of Delta Air Lines tickets this weekend by Tweeting a question for Nate Holland (@N8Holland) to #ussnowboarding.
It was hell on snow all day and truly a battle. There was a crash in just about every heat. In the final, I got hit hard and had to carve my way back on to the course and went from 6th to 3rd. I'll take it.