Director of Development, Major Gifts
Reports To: Chief Development Officer, U.S. Ski & Snowboard Foundation
About the U.S. Ski & Snowboard Foundation: The U.S. Ski & Snowboard Foundation is the non-profit fundraising arm of U.S. Ski & Snowboard. Incorporated in 1964 as a 501(c)3, the Foundation raises funds to support year-round athlete training, coaching, development, competition, and educational needs. The position is based in New York City.
- Grow the tri-state (NY, NJ, CT) fundraising market by $3 million in annual fund support by 2022 through the major gift programs.
- Manage a portfolio of 100+ donors with solicitation, stewardship and fundraising goals.
- Participate in all aspects of the fundraising cycle; (1) initiate contacts with potential major donors; (2) develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them; (3) move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; (4) make solicitations when appropriate; and (5) maintain stewardship contacts with donors. Prepare the CEO, CDO, and other appropriate executive staff and board members, as needed, to cultivate and secure investments. Conduct research, provide background and determine investment level.
- Work in partnership with the Director of Development, Principal Giving to ensure a seamless connection between the principal and major gift programs.
- Perform additional activities related to the Development effort as requested by the Chief Development Officer and others.
- Demonstrate professionalism, discretion, and confidentiality in matters of donor privacy.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of five years of major and/or principal gift fundraising experience or sales experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and a track record of successfully managing current and prospective benefactors at the major gift level along with outstanding social skills, instincts, judgment, and integrity.
- An ambitious and motivated professional, who values a collaborative working environment and who will be able to establish strong, interpersonal relationships with organization leaders, donors, and development office staff.
- Comfortable with a flexible work schedule, including travel and evening and weekend work.
- Experience using and maintaining accurate records within a donor database.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- An authentic passion for skiing and snowboarding as well as a strong appreciation for the extraordinary athletic accomplishments and challenges of our athletes.
- A working understanding of a national governing body.
- Experience with capital and/or endowment campaigns.
U.S. Ski & Snowboard is an equal opportunity employer
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by completing the U.S. Ski & Snowboard employment application (refer to the References Section on the right), attaching a cover letter and/or résumé and submitting via the online employment application.