Chief Technology Officer
Chief Technology Officer
The Chief Technology Officer is responsible for developing and guiding the overall strategic direction of U.S. Ski & Snowboard Information Technology systems to further the vision and mission of the organization.
The Chief Technology Officer responsibilities include:
- Working with U.S. Ski & Snowboard’s management team to support the athletic and business needs of the organization through the implementation of effective technology solutions.
- Presenting to the Board and other leadership the strategic plans for technology.
- Leading a team of information technologists to provide service to the organization
- Defining the strategy of U.S. Ski & Snowboard IT initiatives, including business continuity, data warehouse, CRM implementation and digital communications. Developing a 5-year strategic technology roadmap for the organization with annual operating plans and budgets.
- Management of the technical operations at the Center of Excellence. This includes the technical components located in the on-premise servers, phone systems, routers, switches, wiring, printers, and other connectivity components for the LAN\WAN.
- Overseeing and lead the Information Technology staff including software developers (2), IT network engineers (1) and helpdesk staff (2).
- Evaluating and implementing security tools such as Antivirus software, Microsoft, Linux, VMware, and Cisco access controls. Develop and coordinate company policies and procedures. Heads all aspects of the organization's technological development working with Executive Management in order to develop the technology strategic direction of the organization. Includes designing systems, programming, installation and operation in accordance with the organization’s business needs.
- Identifying opportunities and risks, and establishes technical vision.
- Setting the short- and long-term strategic objectives while providing the management necessary to achieve budget, growth, or other goals of the organization.
- Planning, and schedule the development, production, and administrative processing of the organization's computer operations.
- Prioritizing work for team members and reviewing work.
- Building systems capability that reflects the highest state of technical sophistication consistent with the corporation's needs and budget.
- Ensuring security of the organization’s databases.
- Recommending approaches that contribute to overall organizational strategic management.
- Ensuring the organization makes maximum use of the general system by providing for the education and training of the principal users.
Typical functions of the position:
- Provides leadership to, advises, and works as a consultant to other department heads regarding technologies that may improve efficiency and effectiveness while supporting the organization's culture, mission, and values.
- Consults with management to determine information requirements of management, determine boundaries and priorities of new projects, and discuss system capacity and equipment acquisitions.
- Identifies and communicates the strategic objectives and determines specific information requirements for management and all levels of staff
- Monitors and keeps current on technology and social trends that could impact the organization, and maintains current information about technology standards and compliance regulations.
- Reviews and evaluates project feasibility studies based on management's requirements and priorities. Contracts with management specialists, technical personnel, or vendors to implement solutions and solve problems.
- Achieves desired results through the use of budgets, proper contracts, and efficient decision-making.
- Implements the installation and operation of information systems and equipment.
- Manages several direct reports. Maintains a professional, technical, and clerical staff capable of meeting current and future needs.
- Sets technology policies and goals with the technology team to the benefit of the organization.
- Prepares progress reports to inform management of project status and deviation from goals.
- Reviews reports of computer and peripheral equipment production, malfunctions, and maintenance to ascertain costs and plan department operating changes.
- Analyzes department workflow and workers' job duties to recommend reorganization or departmental realignment within company.
- May participate in technical projects, such as writing equipment specifications or developing computer programs for specified applications. May assist staff to diagnose and solve computer equipment problems.
Skills or attributes include:
- Demonstrated success as a technical manager for a group handling complex technical problems.
- Fluent in various software architectures, preferably distributed service-oriented architectures.
- Experience building applications with Java and PHP development tools as well as Object Oriented Design.
- Strong SQL and data modeling skills, as well as real-world experience with commercial RDMBS. (MS SQL & MySQL preferred).
- Experience with version control and bug tracking development tools.
- Strong communication skills.
Education and Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or related field is required, advanced degree preferred.
- Five to ten years of experience in the areas of network architecture and application development management.
- MCSE, CCNA, or RHCE preferred.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by completing the U.S. Ski & Snowboard employment application (refer to the References Section on the right), attaching a cover letter and/or résumé and submitting via the online employment application.