White Gold at X
ASPEN, CO (Jan. 27) - Shaun White (Carlsbad, CA) left no doubt. In a one-sided X Games superpipe, White clinched the win on his first run with a 95.0, upped it to 98.0 on his second then skipped his final run to walk away with an historic six peat to close out the X Games in Aspen. It was his eighth X Games superpipe crown.
- Shaun White (Carlsbad, CA) ran away with a sixth straight X Games title with a dominating superpipe win with run scores of 95.0 and 98.0.
- Scotty Lago (Seabrook, NH) was fourth with Greg Bretz (Mammoth Lakes, CA) sixth and Louie Vito (Sandy, UT) seventh.
- Lago's opening run was smooth and stylish featuring progressive adn difficult grabs including a double grab in his last double cork and a double nose grab in his 900.
- White run: Backside method, frontside double cork 1080 (height of 24'!), cab double cork 1080, frontside 540, backside double mctwist 1260, frontside double cork 126.
- Top riders will be in Park City, UT this week for the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix halfpipe Friday before heading to Sochi for Olympic test events.
Mike Jankowski, U.S. Snowboarding Coach
I really want to focus on how strong the team is as a whole. The fact that Greg landed double cork 12's and back to back doubles, which is new for him in his run is huge. The momentum that is out there is great. Shaun continues to dominate and amaze us all and the athlete's bag of tricks is moving in amazing direction. We are really happy and confident as a team, we want the results now, but we are looking for the results at the test event and next year. It's hard to make a leap forward, because back in the day a 540 to switch 720 was easy and now its exponentially harder, with these big dub corks. It is exciting as team where we are at now and where are going, and I am looking forward to the journey.