Vonn Brilliant in Super G Victory
ST. MORITZ, Switzerland (Dec. 8) – Lindsey Vonn skied a tactically perfect weather shortened super G to capture her 57th Audi FIS Alpine World Cup victory and fourth this season. Julia Mancuso continued the U.S. Ski Team's speed dominance with third, the fourth straight World Cup speed race where two U.S. athletes have been in the top 3. Slovenia's Tina Maze, who won the opening super combined in St. Moritz, was second by .37 to keep the overall chase tight.
- Lindsey Vonn (Vail, CO) captured the 57th Audi FIS Alpine World Cup victory of her career with a super G win on a shortened course due to high winds.
- It was the 20th super G podium of Vonn's career placing her second in all-time SG wins behind Austrian great Hermann Maier (24). She is now five short of tying another Austrian Annemarie Moser-Proell for the women's all-time World Cup win total with 62.
- Julia Mancuso (Squaw Valley, CA) was third for her second SG podium of the season.
- Slovenia's Tina Maze was second by .37 and leads the overall by 167 points over Vonn, who is currently third behind German Maria Hoefl-Riesch. Mancuso is fifth.
- Leanne Smith (North Conway, NH) was 15th, Laurenne Ross (Bend, OR) 17th and Stacey Cook (Mammoth Mountain, CA) 26th.
- The Best in the World women's speed team has now captured eight of the possible 12 podium finishes this season in speed races.
- Universal Sports will broadcast the race at 9 a.m. ET. Action closes in St. Moritz Sunday with giant slalom.
I was definitely disappointed after yesterday's race. I skied too conservatively in the super G and didn't really have anything going on in slalom. Today I came out charging, I knew that it was gong to be really difficult to win.
The other girls are skiing so well, Tina and Julia and Maria. It has been a tight field in super G. I'm definitely going to have to fight hard. The way Tina has been skiing is really great for the sport. I have a lot of respect for her and she is obviously skiing well in all five events. I'm only skiing well at the moment in downhill and super G.
I like super G a lot and it's been good for me this year with my new equipment. I'm having fun. It was good that we had downhill before super G because I was really able to figure out what was working. Now that I have figured it out more, hopefuly other disciplines like GS will be good too. That's the biggest thing, it takes a little racing to really know. You can train as much as you want in summer but it's hard to get the exact conditions you want on race day.
We just have a really good set-up now, with great coaches. We have a great role model like Lindsey to look up to. So, it's just helping everyone to be fast.
HELP THE TEAM
Athletes like Lindsey Vonn and her U.S. Ski Team teammates rely on the support of the American public. Click here to support the team.