Vito Soars to Grand Prix Title
- Louie Vito (Sandy, UT) earned the U.S. Grand Prix series title and the Mammoth Mountain snowboard halfpipe event title.
- Vito came from behind on his second run to score a 98.20, his progressive run consisting of three doubles.
- This was a series repeat title for Vito but a first for Kaitlyn Farrington (Bellevue, ID) and each was awarded $20,000.
- Elena Hight (S. Lake Tahoe, CA) won Saturday's halfpipe competition but was edged in the series by Farrington.
- Greg Bretz (Mammoth Lakes, CA) finished second in his hometown event.
- Luke Mitrani (Breckenridge, CO) was third in men's competition.
- Farrington earned the Maloof Best Trick with a huge back 900 while Mitrani earned it for the men with his double Michalchuck. Each won $10,000 for best trick.
- Farrington ran from the podium to catch her flight to the Burton Vermont U.S. Open and is recovering from wrist surgery she suffered three weeks ago.
- Ellery Hollingsworth (Darien, CT) earned her first podium of this season.
- Youth Olympic Games silver medalist Arielle Gold placed fourth.
- Spencer Shaw (Danbury, CT) of the U.S. Snowboarding Rookie Team placed sixth.
I am super stoked on winning the overall. But riding with Greg and Luke today and watching them throw down some good runs really pushed me to ride better and for me that is what it is all about. The sun is out, the pipe is good and I walked away with a win so I can't complain.
I am super stoked on today. It was really beautiful and I got to come out and do qualifiers early this morning. I qualified first which I am really happy about and enjoy this California sunshine with my friends. It really doesn't get any better than this.