U.S. Freestyle Championships at Heavenly
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, CA (March 19) - The Sprint U.S. Freestyle Championships will return to world-class Heavenly Mountain Resort in South Lake Tahoe March 29-31. U.S. athletes will come together for the final event of the season to battle it out for the title of U.S. Champion. Leading the team is Olympic and World Champion Hannah Kearney (Norwich, VT). Hometown boy Sho Kashima (South Lake Tahoe, CA) will be looking to put on a show in front of his home crowd. A spectator-friendly venue, Heavenly will play perfect host to men’s and women’s aerials, dual moguls and moguls events.
- Heavenly Resort will host the 2013 Sprint U.S. Championships March 29-31 and will be the last freestyle event of the 2012-13 season.
- Olympic and World Champion Hannah Kearney (Norwich, VT) will lead the team.
- Hometown athlete Sho Kashima (South Lake Tahoe, CA) will look for top results on his home course.
- Heather McPhie (Bozeman, MT) and Jeremy Cota (Carabassette Valley, ME) were single moguls U.S. Champions last year at Stratton Mountain.
- K.C. Oakley (Piedmont, CA) and Cody Tempel (Missoula, MT) were dual moguls champions.
- Dylan Ferguson (Amesbury, MA) and Madison Olsen (Park City, UT) were the aerial champions.
- A spectator-friendly venue, Heavenly will play perfect host to men’s and women’s aerials, dual moguls and moguls events.
- The aerials competition will be held at night under the lights while the moguls competition finish line will sit at the base area, in direct view of the sumptuous California Lodge.
- Heavenly will also host U.S. Championships following the Olympics in 2014. Spectators will have the opportunity to watch U.S. Olympic athletes compete after they return from the Games.
- Many of the United States’ top freestyle skiers hail from the resort including Brooke Ballachey, Chris Hernandez, Ryan Hickey, Anna Park, current U.S. Ski Team athlete Sho Kashima and the legendary Glen Plake.
- Heavenly last hosted the championships in 2004
I can’t think of anything more inspiring than competing on my home hill during such an exciting time in the winter sports world. Heavenly provides excellent support to its freestyle athletes and I am proud of the resort’s selection as host of the U.S. Freestyle Championships.
Friday Mar. 29 – Moguls qualifications and finals 2:30 p.m.
Saturday Mar. 30 – Aerials qualifications and finals 5:40 p.m
Sunday Mar. 31 – Dual moguls qualifications and finals 11:45 a.m.