Mancuso, Shiffrin Top 10 in France
COURCHEVEL, France (Dec. 16) - Julia Mancuso (Squaw Valley, CA) and Mikaela Shiffrin (Eagle-Vail, CO) combined for top ten finishes in an Audi FIS Alpine World Cup giant slalom in Courchevel. Mancuso was sixth and Shiffrin ninth as Tina Maze of Slovenia continued her dominance, winning her fourth straight GS. The World Cup now heads for Are, Sweden with giant slalom and slalom Wednesday and Thursday.
- Julia Mancuso (Squaw Valley, CA) was sixth and Mikeala Shiffrin (Eagle-Vail, CO) ninth in the Courchevel World Cup GS.
- The finish matched Shiffrin's career best ninth set last month at the Aspen Winternational.
- Mancuso moved to fifth in the Audi FIS World Cup overall, one spot behind Lindsey Vonn (Vail, CO), who went out in the first run.
- Maze leads the World Cup 799-468 over Germany's Maria Hoefl-Riesch.
- The women's tour now heads to Sweden for a GS and slalom Wednesday and Thursday in Are.
- Universal Sports TV: 11:30 a.m./9:00 p.m. EST
It's a step in the right direction for my GS. I was happy to come down second and end up sixth.
It's a pretty tricky course - really turny first run and more difficult than the second run. They had to inject because it snowed meters the week before in order to make sure we had a race they put in a lot of water and it wasa really rough. After scraping off the snow there was glare ice, but I thought it turned out pretty well. It was a good decision.
It should be fun in Sweden. It will be cool to be back to the GS race under the lights as there's not a lot of sunshine that time of year.
HELP THE TEAM
Athletes like Julia Mancuso and her U.S. Ski Team teammates rely on the support of the American public. Click here to support the team.