Deer Valley Sweep for USA Women
PARK CITY, UT (Jan. 31) - Olympic champion Hannah Kearney (Norwich, VT) led a USA sweep as the American women dominated in the Visa Freestyle International at Deer Valley Resort. Heather McPhie (Bozeman, MT) was second with Eliza Outtrim (Hamden, CT) third. Patrick Deneen (Cle Elum, WA) was third for the men. It was only the second USA women's podium sweep in history. Action continues Friday with aerials, closing out at Deer Valley with dual moguls on Saturday.
- Hannah Kearney (Norwich, VT) led a USA sweep picking up her second win of the year. Heather McPhie (Bozeman, MT) was second and Eliza Outtrim (Hamden, CT) third at the Visa Freestyle International at Deer Valley Resort.
- Patrick Deneen (Cle Elum, WA) remained third in the FIS World Cup moguls standings finishing third.
- It was only the second moguls podium sweep in history for the U.S. women.
- The win boosted Kearney, who missed the opening two events due to a fall training injury, into third in the World Cup moguls standings. McPhie remained in second.
- Four U.S. men qualified for the semi-finals including rookie Dylan Walczyk (Breckenridge, CO) who as seventh - his third straight top ten since getting a discretionary start two weeks ago. Bryon Wilson (Butte, MT) qualified fourth but suffered a concussion in training just before the Thursday night event.
- Five U.S. women made the round of 16 semis.
- Action continues Friday with aerials and Saturday with dual moguls with live coverage on the USSA Network.
- Thursday's event will be broadcast Saturday at 1 p.m. EST on NBC Sports Network and again Saturday, Feb. 9 at 2 p.m. on NBC
Past USA Moguls Podium Sweeps
Feb. 1, 2005 - Deer Valley - Jeremy Bloom, Nate Roberts, Toby Dawson
Jan. 8, 2005 - Mt. Tremblant - Taoby Dawson, Jeremy Bloom, Luke Westerlund
Feb. 22, 2004 - Naeba, Japan - Toby Dawson, Travis Cabral, Jeremy Bloom
Jan. 5, 1996 - Lake Placid - Jonny Moseley, James Moran, Troy Benson
Jan. 31, 2013 - Deer Valley - Hannah Kearney, Heather McPhie, Eliza Outtrim
Jan. 21, 2010 - Lake Placid - Hannah Kearney, Shannon Bahrke, Heather McPhie
This clean sweep proves how hard we train and how talented our team is. This should be happening more often.
I'm stronger than ever, even after my trainin injury earlier this season and I knew I could showcase that on this difficult course. This course is about endurance. It's long and steep and I think as a team we were prepared for that. Deer Valley is a favorite stop on the circut for our team and we put on a good show tonight.
It's funny, Eliza, Hannah and I were walking into the Center of Excellence yesterday and were talking about how great it would be for us all to get a podium here at Deer Valley. I didn't think it would happen all at once! It's unbelievable!
We've pushed each other all summer and this is just proof of how strong our team is. We've got a great group of veterans on the team but also a really strong lineup of rookies that keep the veterans on their toes.
I'm lucky to be surrounded by such great skiers and to have the depth that we do on the team. It pushes all of us to always be on our a game.