Blue Diamond to Provide Nutritional Support
PARK CITY, Utah (Sep. 16) – Nutrition is at the forefront of a new partnership between the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association and Blue Diamond® Growers, the world’s largest almond processing and marketing company. Blue Diamond has been named the official snack nut of the U.S. Ski Team, U.S. Snowboarding and U.S. Freeskiing. The USSA will integrate Blue Diamond Almonds into its dietary baseline of nutritional meals for athletes both at the USSA Center of Excellence training center and on the road at training camps, competitions and the U.S. Ski Team’s mobile kitchen in Europe.
- The U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association, the national governing body for Olympic skiing and snowboarding, has entered into a partnership with Blue Diamond® Growers, the world’s largest almond processing and marketing company.
- As the official snack nut, Blue Diamond Almonds will be integrated into the dietary baseline of nutritional meals for U.S. Ski Team, U.S. Snowboarding and U.S. Freeskiing athletes.
- The USSA will showcase Blue Diamond through a branding program in the training kitchen of the USSA Center of Excellence, where hundreds of elite athletes are training for the upcoming Olympic season, as well as the U.S. Ski Team’s mobile kitchen in Europe.
- Blue Diamond will also integrate the U.S. Ski Team and U.S. Snowboarding logos and marks in a national branding campaign that speaks to the nutritional value of almonds and their integration in the USSA’s athletic programs.
- Nutrition has long been identified as a key component of the USSA’s high performance athletic plan. Under the partnership, Blue Diamond will provide athletes with healthy alternatives, like Blue Diamond Almond Snack Packs, as well as providing education to elite athletes on the health benefits of almonds and how they can impact training.
- Almonds are a heart-healthy food high in protein and rich in fiber, containing magnesium, calcium, potassium as well as vitamin E.
John O’Shaughnessy , General Manager of Consumer Foods Division, Blue Diamond Growers
Competitive snowboarders and skiers must sustain their energy for long, exhilarating days of training and competition. That’s why Blue Diamond Almonds is the Official Snack Nut of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association. The USSA has sport programs for aspiring and competitive athletes who are driven to be the very best skiers and snowboarders in the world. With Blue Diamond Almonds, these athletes will always have a smart, sensible, delicious snack to maintain their energy levels as they work to achieve their personal best. This is a partnership to go 'nuts' over!
Michael Jaquet, USSA Chief Marketing Officer
Our partnership with Blue Diamond Almonds brings us not just an important sponsor in the Olympic season but also a company that wants to aggressively activate its partnership and will be able to impact our high performance athletic programs through its products. Its integration of our brands into national advertising will help increase the public awareness of our athletes. Blue Diamond is a highly respected company and we look forward to showcasing it in the USSA Center of Excellence kitchen and providing our athletes with a healthful product to help them become Best in the World.
Allen Tran, USSA High Performance Chef
Nutrition is a key component of our high performance athletic plan, both in our USSA Center of Excellence training center and on the road at camps and competitions. The nutritional components of Blue Diamond Almonds make them a great snack for athletes - high in protein and rich in fiber.
About Blue Diamond
California-based Blue Diamond® Growers is the world's largest almond processing and marketing company. Founded in 1910, the 103 year-old cooperative is owned by half of the state's almond growers who produce over 80 percent of the world almond supply. Blue Diamond® led the development of California's almond industry from a minor domestic specialty crop to the world leader. With 2012 sales exceeding $1 billion, Blue Diamond® recently doubled its capacity, opening the first phase of a new California plant designed to address growing global demand. The California almond crop is marketed to all 50 states and more than 90 foreign countries, making almonds California's largest food export and the number one specialty crop in America.
About the USSA
The U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA) is the national governing body of Olympic skiing and snowboarding. It is the parent organization of the U.S. Ski Team, U.S. Snowboarding and U.S. Freeskiing. Developed to facilitate participation in national and international competition, the Olympic sports organization provides structure for competitive skiing and snowboarding. From grassroots programs to governance of sport, management of rules, competitions and athletic rankings, the USSA oversees athletic pipelines for development in the sports. With a vision to make the USA the best in the world in Olympic skiing and snowboarding, the USSA provides leadership and direction for tens of thousands of young skiers and snowboarders who share an Olympic dream while maintaining a strong adherence to core values. The USSA, established in 1905, operates out of the national training and education facility, the Center of Excellence, in Park City, UT.