Additional Snowboarding Athletes Set For Sochi
PARK CITY, UT (Jan. 21) – Three additional slopestyle snowboarding athletes were nominated for the U.S. Olympic Snowboarding Team by the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association. In addition, World Championship silver medalist Justin Reiter (Steamboat Springs, CO) was nominated in alpine snowboarding. With the confirmation of quotas within snowboarding, the USSA added three snowboarders in slopestyle to round out the full team. The formal naming of the 2014 U.S. Olympic Team by the United States Olympic Committee is set for Jan. 27.
- The U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association nominated three additional slopestyle snowboarding athletes to the debut Olympic Team.
- The athletes qualified through the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix and were added to those announced previously.
- Alpine snowboarding athlete Justin Reiter (Steamboat Springs, CO) was also nominated to compete. Reiter placed second at last year’s World Championships and qualified through World Cup results.
- Ryan Stassel (Anchorage, AK) was named in slopestyle to round out the men’s team. Stassel took a big win at Mammoth Mountain, the final location on the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix series.
- Jessika Jenson (Rigby, ID) and Karly Shorr (Truckee, CA) and each landed multiple podiums throughout the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix series, solidifying their positions on the team.
- The slopestyle and halfpipe athletes will be competing this week at the X Games in Aspen before departing for Sochi.
- The U.S. Olympic Committee will formally name the 2014 U.S. Olympic Team on January 27.
2014 OLYMPIC HALFPIPE AND SLOPESTYLE NOMINATIONS
(new nominations are italicized)
Men’s Alpine Snowboarding
Justin Reiter, Steamboat Springs, CO (2/2/1981)
Greg Bretz, Mammoth Lakes, CA (12/19/1990) *
Danny Davis, Truckee, CA (6/22/1988)
Taylor Gold, Steamboat Springs, CO (11/17/1993)
Shaun White, Carlsbad, CA (9/3/1986) *
Kelly Clark, W. Dover, VT (7/26/1983) *
Kaitlyn Farrington, Bellevue, ID (12/18/1989)
Arielle Gold, Steamboat Springs, CO (5/4/1996)
Hannah Teter, Belmont, VT (1/27/1987) *
Sage Kotsenburg, Park City, UT (7/27/1993)
Chas Guldemond, Reno, NV (4/22/1987)
Ryan Stassel, Anchorage, AK (10/23/1992)
Shaun White, Carlsbad, CA (9/3/1986)
Jamie Anderson, S. Lake Tahoe, CA (9/13/1990)
Jessika Jensen, Rigby, ID (8/07/1991)
Karly Shorr, Truckee, CA (5/18/1994)
Ty Walker, Stowe, VT (3/03/1997)
Jeremy Forster, Director of Freeskiing and Snowboarding, USSA
We are very fortunate to be taking such a talented group of athletes to Sochi. Each of them have made clear through their performances during the Grand Prix qualifying series that they have the potential to land on the Olympic podium.
All nominations are subject to approval by the U.S. Olympic Committee.