2014 Snowboardcross Team Named
SOELDEN, Austria (Dec. 5) – Olympic medalists Seth Wescott (Sugarloaf, ME) and Lindsey Jacobellis (Stratton, VT), along with seven-time X Games gold medalist Nate Holland (Squaw Valley, CA), headline U.S. Snowboarding’s 2013-14 snowboardcross team named heading into the opening FIS World Cup this weekend. The team just capped off a great month of training including an on-snow camp at the Gorgoza Park tubing hill in Park City followed by training in Soelden, Austria. The FIS World Cup season opens in Montafon, Austria Dec. 5-7. The 2014 Olympic Team will be nominated around Jan. 22.
- The U.S. Snowboarding named 14 athletes to its 2013-14 snowboardcross team including Olympic silver medalist Lindsey Jacobellis (Stratton, VT), seven-time X Games gold medalist Nate Holland (Squaw Valley, CA) and two-time Olympic gold medalist Seth Wescott (Sugarloaf, ME).
- Both Wescott and Jacobellis have made successful returns to snow following injuries.
- The team was named following the annual fall dryland camp at the USSA Center of Excellence in Park City, which included a unique on-snow training camp at a local tubing hill, Gorgoza Park. The athletes then headed to Soelden, Austria to prepare for the FIS World Cup opener this weekend in Montafon, Austria.
- Veteran Faye Gulini (Salt Lake City) capitalized on a strong season to move up to the A Team. Gulini won the U.S. title with her victory at the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix at Canyons Resort.
- Nick Baumgartner (Iron River, MI) scored two 2012-13 World Cup podiums to lead the USA in the standings at fifth.
- The veteran team saw the addition of one newcomer, Trevor Jacob (Golden City, CA) following his sensational breakout rookie season where he landed two top-10 World Cups and took the U.S. title with a win in the Sprint U.S. Grand Prix at Canyons Resort.
- The 2014 Olympic Team will be selected from results of FIS World Cup competitions and will be nominated around Jan. 22.
Peter Foley, Head U.S. Snowboarding Coach
The Team is in a really good place going into the Olympic season. We've had good luck with the weather at all of our camps - really great sessions at Mt. Hood, Cardrona (New Zealand) and Gorgoza (Park City). I'm really encouraged at the strength numbers our athletes have put up in physical testing and the athletes that are coming back from injury all seem to be way ahead of schedule. I'm excited to get to the first World Cup and see what they can do.
The Camp at Gorgoza (Park City tubing hill) was a huge success. We were able to do an incredible volume of quality runs with timing and video. We were also able to do some amazing race simulations. It is an awesome combination to have the athletes training at the Center of Excellence and on snow right here in Park City at the same time. We feel like this camp put us way ahead of where we've ever been for this time of year. Huge thanks to Tom Butz at Gorgoza, Tom Pettigrew at Park City and Chris Nyberg at Powdr Corp. for really going out of their way to make this special training opportunity happen.
2014 U.S. Snowboarding Snowboardcross Team Roster
Name, Hometown, Club, Date of Birth* Denotes Olympian
2014 U.S. Snowboarding Snowboardcross A Team
Nick Baumgartner (Iron River, MI) 12/17/81 *
Nate Holland (Squaw Valley, ID) 11/8/78 *
Seth Wescott (Sugarloaf, ME; Carrabassett Valley Academy) 6/28/76 *
Faye Gulini (Salt Lake City, UT; Vail Ski and Snowboard Academy) 3/24/92 *
Lindsey Jacobellis (Stratton Mountain, VT, Stratton Mountain School) 8/19/85 *
2014 U.S. Snowboardcross B Team
Jonathan Cheever (Saugus, MA; University of Massachusetts Lowell) 4/17/85
Alex Deibold (Manchester Center, VT; Stratton Mountain School) 5/18/86
Pat Holland (Squaw Valley, CA) 5/5/82
Trevor Jacob (Golden City, CA) 8/6/93
Hagen Kearney (Telluride, CO; International Snowboard Training Center) 11/6/91
Alex Tuttle (Stratton, ME; Carrabasett Valley Academy) 11/13/90
Callan Chythlook-Sifsof (Girdwood, AK; Westminster College) 2/14/89 *
Jackie Hernandez (Londonderry, VT; International Snowboard Training Center) 12/2/92
Brooke Shaw (Litchfield, CT) 5/12/91
U.S. Snowboarding Staff
Jeremy Forster, U.S. Freeskiing and U.S. Snowboarding Director
Abbi Nyberg, U.S. Snowboarding and U.S. Freeskiing Program Manager
Kate Morton, U.S. Snowboarding and U.S. Freeskiing Team Manager
Andrew Buckley, U.S. Snowboarding Wax Technician
Dewey Moss, U.S. Snowboarding Wax Technician
Curtis Baca, U.S. Snowboarding Wax Technician
Peter Foley, Head U.S. Snowboarding Coach
Jeff Archibald, U.S. Snowboarding Snowboardcross Coach
Official U.S. Snowboarding Suppliers
Burton (outerwear/uniform, baselayer, hats and gloves)
Smartwool – Socks
2XU – Compression Gear
High Sierra - Bags
Wax, Tools, Training Devices and Accessories
HELP THE TEAM
U.S. Snowboarding relies solely on the support of the American public. Click here to support the team.